Chicken Cracklings recipe
I am a fan of easy, simple recipes that do not require very much preparation. The problem with frying chicken is that it can be such a hassle. That’s why I never fry chicken. I usually bake it. In the past when I would fry my chicken. The skin would always get stuck to my pan. So, I got into the habit of not using them. I now use the skins to make delicious and mouthwatering chicken cracklings. When I was a child my mom would always remove the skin from the chicken thighs and fry it up separately. She would eat it them just like chips. We were always given the leaner parts of the chicken but my mom would always allow us to sample just one crackling. Yep, just one piece. Wow, they were so good but also her little secret recipe!
On Instagram, I noticed that many of my friends shared pork rind images. I’m not a fan of pork rinds because of all of the unknown additives. We are never really sure what we are actually eating. One day while making chicken thighs I thought. How can I fry up the skins without frying it? Bake them! At first, I made them on a sheet of parchment paper. The top burned and they didn’t have the Dorito look that I was aiming for. I wondered if putting another pan on top would keep them flat. I did that but I added another sheet of parchment paper on top to keep the mess to a minimum. They turned out golden brown. My family loved them. They were gone before I was done cooking dinner. You are going to love these yummy snacks too. Just a couple of tips. Make sure that the chicken skins are dry, if they are not they will stick to the parchment paper. Forty minutes sounds like a lot of time to bake but the time goes by fast. Have your timer set for twenty minutes. Then carefully left remove your top cookie sheet and parchment paper. Flip your chicken skins over and then put the parchment paper and cookie sheet back on top. Then set your timer for another 20 minutes. I like my skins extra crispy and this extra step does the job. I would not use a silicone baking mat for this recipe. Two cookie sheets work best for me. These chicken cracklings are delicious, crunchy, and so easy – with only a few ingredients of your choice! They are better than chips without the high carbs. This recipe has zero carbs. You will love the flavor.
Be careful they will be gobbled it up in seconds!
So crispy, easy to make and keto friendly. This chicken cracklings recipe has zero carbs. It's ok not share. Trust me. I never share these.
5 minPrep Time
45 minCook Time
50 minTotal Time
- 8 chicken skins from 8 chicken thighs
- 1/2 teaspoon Pink Himalayan Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Paprika
- Peel your skins from chicken thighs. Season with salt, pepper and paprika.
- Dry them on paper towel. If they are wet they will stick to the parchment paper.
- Lay a sheet of parchment paper unto a cookie sheet.
- Add your chicken skin pieces.
- Add another layer of parchment paper on top of your chicken skins.
- If you would like your skins to stay flat. Weight them down by putting a cookie on top of the parchment paper.
- Have your timer set for 40 minutes.
- Bake for a total of 40 mins at 400 degrees. Bake until desired crispiness. No need to preheat your oven.
- Drain on paper towels.
- They should turn out very crispy.
- Cooking times may vary. Be sure to check on crackling at the 30 minute mark.