Day 67 of 365 | The Carnivore Diet Experiment!
Hi friends: It’s day 67 of 365 of the carnivore diet experiment! I have been asked if the carnivore diet is similar to the Atkins diet.
I heard about the Atkins diet years ago. The Atkins diet is a low-carb diet. Fans of this diet say that you can lose weight while eating as much protein and fat as you want, as long as you avoid foods high in carbs.
Studies have shown that low-carb diets are effective for weight loss and can lead to various health improvements.
The Atkins diet was originally promoted by the physician Dr. Robert C. Atkins, who wrote a best-selling book about it in 1972. I remember talking to my doctor years ago about this diet and she was not very keen on it. So I didn’t try it. The media really gave this diet a hard time. Actually, I was very fearful of trying it. Many media outlets stated that the high about of fat could cause a person to have a heart attack. So I was not going to try this diet. Now we are learning that those claims were not true at all.
In the past 12 or so years, over 20 studies have shown that low-carb diets without the need for calorie counting are effective for weight loss and can lead to various health improvements.
Since then, the Atkins diet has been popular all over the world with many more books having been written.
The Atkins diet is split into 4 different phases:
- Phase 1 (induction): Under 20 grams of carbs per day for 2 weeks. Eat high-fat, high-protein, with low-carb vegetables like leafy greens. This kick-starts the weight loss.
- Phase 2 (balancing): Slowly add more nuts, low-carb vegetables and small amounts of fruit back to your diet.
- Phase 3 (fine-tuning): When you’re very close to your goal weight, add more carbs to your diet until weight loss slows down.
- Phase 4 (maintenance): Here you can eat as many healthy carbs as your body can tolerate without regaining weight.
Foods to Avoid
You should avoid these foods on the Atkins diet:
- Sugar: Soft drinks, fruit juices, cakes, candy, ice cream, etc.
- Grains: Wheat, spelt, rye, barley, rice.
- Vegetable oils: Soybean oil, corn oil, cottonseed oil, canola oil and a few others.
- Trans fats: Usually found in processed foods with the word “hydrogenated” on the ingredients list.
- “Diet” and “low-fat” foods: These are usually very high in sugar.
- High-carb vegetables: Carrots, turnips, etc (induction only).
- High-carb fruits: Bananas, apples, oranges, pears, grapes (induction only).
- Starches: Potatoes, sweet potatoes (induction only).
- Legumes: Lentils, beans, chickpeas, etc. (induction only).
Foods to Eat
You should base your diet around these healthy foods.
- Meats: Beef, pork, lamb, chicken, bacon and others.
- Fatty fish and seafood: Salmon, trout, sardines, etc.
- Eggs: The healthiest eggs are omega-3 enriched or pastured.
- Low-carb vegetables: Kale, spinach, broccoli, asparagus and others.
- Full-fat dairy: Butter, cheese, cream, full-fat yogurt.
- Nuts and seeds: Almonds, macadamia nuts, walnuts, sunflower seeds, etc.
- Healthy fats: Extra virgin olive oil, coconut oil, avocados and avocado oil.
Here are some drinks that are acceptable on the Atkins diet.
Water: As always, water should be your go-to beverage.
Coffee: Many studies show that coffee is high in antioxidants and quite healthy.
Green tea: A very healthy beverage.
Alcohol is also fine in small amounts. Stick to dry wines with no added sugars and avoid high-carb drinks like beer.
In my opinion, this is a fantastic diet and many people have had wonderful success. This diet is not the same as the carnivore diet. The carnivore diet is a meat-only diet. It is not similar to the Atkins diet. However, the Atkins diet is a wonderful stepping stone to the carnivore and it does prepare the mind and body for success with the carnivore diet. Do what works for you!
Today’s dinner was steak!
Check out monthly update videos:
Carnivore diet experiment 30 days of 365 update!
Carnivore diet experiment 60 days of 365 update!
One of my goals of 2017 was to reach a goal/milestone of 10,000 Youtube subscribers for my channel! Please help me achieve this goal by Dec 31, 2018! Please Subscribe to my Youtube Channel and share it also. Thank you so much! Happy Holidays!!!
If you are new to my blog, check out day one of the carnivore diet experiment.
If you would like to join me on this experiment, please check with your doctor first. I will be posting on Instagram/lolaslifessons. If you are not on Instagram, comment here: Twitter/IamLola2017 and Youtube/lolaslifelessons Feel free to let me know about your process there.
Do you have a carnivore diet success story and would like to be featured? Please contact me here email@example.com
Business inquires please contact me here: firstname.lastname@example.org